The Laurel Historical Society is seeking an individual to assist with managing the open hours at the Laurel Museum and completing museum operations and administrative duties. This position requires the ability of the Manager to staff our open hours, Friday through Sunday, 12-4 pm, for a total of 15 hours per week (with the possibility of additional work or special events).
This entry-level position is ideal for an emerging museum professional or someone seeking part-time employment in a small museum environment. Spanish language skills are a bonus.
The primary responsibilities of this position include:
- responsible for the opening and closing of the Laurel Museum (using both key and security codes)
- coverage of the front desk and Museum Shop during the open hours
- serve as the point of contact (assess, communicate, and monitor) for the Museum during open hours (Friday-Sunday, 12-4 pm) when other staff is off-site.
- actively greet and orient visitors to the exhibit, the Museum’s history, and/or Laurel’s history
- promote the Laurel Historical Society (our programs, events, and volunteer opportunities, etc.) with visitors
- conduct shop sales using Square and handle cash, credit cards, and checks (and associated paperwork)
- maintain the daily general tidiness of the exhibit galleries, museum shop, and public spaces
- work with staff and volunteers to maintain volunteer schedules and training opportunities
- monitor phone messages, emails, and check the PO box (at local post office)
- data entry tasks - such as processing membership dues and donations
- support event registration and off-site events (local) as needed
- pack and ship online shop orders as needed
- monitor inventory of supplies and equipment
- use Microsoft Publisher and online tools to assist with the creation of signage and marketing materials
- Other duties as assigned by Executive Director
The Laurel Historical Society is a small community museum and archives with a strong volunteer corps and active Board of Directors dedicated to preserving and interpreting the history and cultural heritage of Laurel, Maryland.
The position reports directly to the Executive Director. This position requires the ability to walk up and down two flights of “historic” winder steps and lift up to 15lbs.
The pay for this position is between $12-15 per hour. To be considered, please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position will be filled as soon as possible. The deadline to apply is September 17, 2021.