The Executive Director of Tacoma Historical Society (THS) is responsible for implementing the Society’s mission. Serves as a highly effective ambassador and liaison with external publics, including city residents, community groups, corporate and governmental sectors. Assists the Board of Directors with strategic planning, fundraising and grant development, board development, corporate memberships, and in meeting financial objectives. Supervises daily operations of the THS Museum and schedules, social media, marketing, and communications. Supports events and board committees, leads community outreach initiatives, and coordinates with other part-time positions. Supervises the Curator, Registrar, Communications Manager as well as temporary staff, interns, and volunteers. Reports to Board of Directors at monthly meetings.
This is a part-time position, approximately 30 hours per week; salary $38,000+, hourly rate DOQ & DOE.
- Represents the organization to agencies, organizations, and the general public, establishing effective working relationships and cooperative arrangements.
- Assists the Board in meeting the Society’s financial objectives by providing leadership and creative vision for the planning, growth, and administration of the Society and Museum.
- Promotes active and broad participation by volunteers in all areas of the Society’s work, while maintaining a climate that attracts, retains, and motivates a diverse volunteer staff of top-quality people.
- Assures effective operation of the THS Museum, including staffing during open hours, facilitating the recruitment, training, and scheduling of volunteers, and communicating with the facility’s building manager.
- Supports the Curator to assure effective stewardship of the museum’s collections, planning and executing exhibits and community outreach.
- Coordinates the work of committees and staff, focusing on mission and strategic goals.
- Maintains official records and documents, including official correspondence of the Society, and ensures compliance with relevant federal, state and local regulations.
- Works with board officers and designated board members to develop grant proposals and donation funding to further the work of the Society. Writes proposals in coordination with the Board or its designee, obtains Board approval, maintains thorough records, and provides copies of the relevant documents to the Secretary.
- Works with board officers and designated board members on fundraising and board development to support organizational advancement and long-term strategic goals.
- Develops essential corporate relationships, actively seeking new and renewing corporate memberships in conjunction with members of the Board.
- Assist the board treasurer in the preparation of the Society’s annual budget, in consultation with the Executive Committee and Board.
- Coordinates and executes marketing and social media plans to increase awareness of the Society and Tacoma history. This includes use of social media, press releases, community calendars, emailed and print communications, and related activities.
- Oversees maintenance and development of web site to advance its increasingly effective role as the public face of the organization.
- Promotes and publicizes the activities of the organization, its programs and goals, with special emphasis on the spring Historic Homes of Tacoma tour and the fall Destiny Dinner, in coordination with relevant committee chairs.
- Serves as primary representative with related external organizations. Develops and executes collaborative programming in alignment with Society’s strategic plan.
- Maintains current knowledge of developments and trends in the museum/heritage field, including exhibits, marketing/communications, and educational standards.
Search and selection procedures will be closed when a sufficient number of qualified candidates have been identified, but no earlier than September 24, 2021.
Submit required documents via email at firstname.lastname@example.org by September 24, 2021.
- Letter of Interest that addresses these topics:
- Brief summary of your qualifications and reasons for your application
- Brief description of how Tacoma Historical Society would benefit from your leadership and expertise
- List of three professional references, including their contact information and relationship to you
ABOUT TACOMA HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Tacoma Historical Society is a volunteer-supported 501(c)3 nonprofit corporation dedicated to the preservation, promotion and presentation of Tacoma’s history, connecting generations with the many stories of our city’s past. For more details about THS and its current activities, please visit its website at www.TacomaHistory.org.