The position will support the operations of the National Scouting Museum and Philmont Museums. This position will be responsible to maintain museum best practices for the collections’ care from acquisition to conservation to display/use. The collections are comprised of 4 artifact-based collections, a library and an archive. As a member of the Museum Team the Collections Curator/Museum Assistant will contribute to the success of the Museums as assigned by the Museum Director.
Education: High School Diploma or GED is required. Bachelor’s Degree or applicable advanced degrees are desirable.
Experience: 3 years or more.
Other Qualifications: Museum collections background. Library and/or Archive management knowledge a plus
Annual earning range: $33,000-$35,000
1. Be knowledgeable of Philmont and Boy Scouts of America History. Pursue active research and continued learning about Philmont Scout Ranch, Boy Scouts of America, and other topics related to significant portions of the Museum’s collection.
2. Be responsible for the day to day operation of the museum’s collections, registrar, library and archives. Ensure that this is done using museum standards and best practices.
3. Manage the intake and integrity of the National Scouting Museum Collection, the Philmont Museum Collection and the Seton Library including; inventory, accession records, and storage requirements.
4. Manage collections database primarily using PastPerfect 5. Manage library database primarily using ResourceMate. This management will include software updates, system maintenance, data entry, backup requirements, and required reports.
5. Assist with the acquisition and potential de-accession of objects as required. Maintain the documentation requirements for each phase of the process.
6. Monitor the environmental controls for collections and archive storage.
7. Assist museum staff with ongoing exhibit development, curation, preparation, and display.
8. Monitor and manage the museum’s policies, plans, protocols, and loan requirements for all objects both internal and external related to collection care.
9. Manage both the “Open” and “Closed” stacks of the Seton library. Maintain the book and periodical inventory and keep the Library ResourceMate system updated and operational. Support and maintain the use of the various parts of the collections including the acquisition of books, check-out process, limited access requirements, and de-accession process.
10. Support and coordinate research requests. Maintain the required standards necessary to access the archives. Oversee researcher use of the archives.
11. Assist in the development and execution of the procedures to meet the National Standards and Best Practices for U.S. Museums as outlined by the American Alliance of Museums.
12. Work with the Museum Intern Program. Serve as a coach mentor to interns assigned to this position. Assist in the promotion of the internship program with targeted universities.
13. Assist with Museum projects and programs when available and upon request of the Museum Director.
Applications will be accepted through November 14, 2021.
Please submit your letter of interest and resume to: Philmont.firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading; Collections Curator/Museum Assistant position