The Maryland Center for History and Culture (MCHC) seeks a dynamic team member to join our Museum Department as the Exhibition Specialist. Reporting to the Director of Collections, this position will serve as project manager for the robust exhibition schedule at MCHC, provide key services to exhibition installation and upkeep, and work closely with the Vice President of Collections and Interpretation on all exhibitions functions. Our new team member will not only help with exhibitions but also institutional collection management initiatives including an upcoming large-scale collection move.
- Oversee the physical development of exhibitions including:
- Setting and maintaining project schedules;
- Coordinating and overseeing outside contractors including designers, fabricators, and art handlers;
- Overseeing the physical installation process;
- Coordinate photography;
- Tracking exhibition activities in the collection management system, PastPerfect;
- Organizing exhibition-related documents;
- Maintaining the condition of exhibitions as needed;
- Managing the exhibition budgets;
- Maintaining adequate exhibition-related supplies;
- Assist in Exhibition fabrication including:
- Fabricating and mounting labels;
- Assisting with graphics production as needed for installations;
- Designing and installing all exhibition lighting;
- Making mounts for installations, as needed;
- Developing floor plans and elevations, as needed;
- · Miscellaneous
- o Add metadata to digital objects for review;
- o Assist with imaging services and patron requests;
- o Art handling.
- · 3+ years of experience in museum exhibitions;
- · Excellent communication skills and knowledge of best practices for collections care;
- · Strong knowledge of exhibition standards;
- · Working knowledge of Past Perfect preferred;
- · Experience with power tools preferred;
- · Mount-making experience preferred;
- · Ability to lift 75 pounds.
About the Position
This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits with occasional evening and weekend hours. The salary range is $40,000 -42,000 annually. The final salary will be determined based on the experience and qualifications of the successful candidate.
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter, resume with contacts of three professional supervisory references to email@example.com. Subject line: Exhibition Specialist. Incomplete applications may not be considered. No phone calls, please.
The Maryland Center for History and Culture is an equal opportunity employer that seeks to educate people of all ages about the American experience through the rich history of Maryland using their collections and to preserve important objects and archival materials from prehistoric Maryland to the present day. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or any other status protected by law and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply.
The Maryland Center for History and Culture collects, preserves, and interprets the history, art, and culture of Maryland. By exploring multiple perspectives and sharing national stories through the lens of Maryland, MCHC inspires critical thinking, creativity, and community. Learn more at mdhistory.org.