Museum Manager- All Things Oz Museum
Job Location: Chittenango, NY
Job Title: Museum Manager
Institution: All Things Oz Museum (International L. Frank Baum & All Things Oz Historical Foundation)
Institution Website: www.allthingsoz.org
About the Institution: . The purposes or objects for which this organization exists are to educate the public in the writings of L. Frank Baum and other Oz authors; promote research about authors, illustrators, and other works related to Oz; encourage original writing and other forms of expression about Oz; and honor Oz creator L. Frank Baum, his works and his life.
Job Description: The Museum Manager oversees the daily operation of the All Things Oz Museum and participates as a member of the leadership team. This role has four essential functions: to manage the daily operations of the museum, including part time staff and volunteers; to manage the museum shop; to account for daily financial transactions; and to manage museum programs, including providing tours when needed.
A successful candidate has a love of The Wonderful Wizard of OZ (or related works), is extremely attentive to detail and an excellent communicator, and will feel confident and comfortable providing experiences to visitors of different backgrounds.
● Oversee efficient operation of the museum.
● Ensure the gift shop runs smoothly and visitors have an excellent experience.
● Set up Group tours using community connections.
● Coordinate to ensure success of part time staff and volunteers.
● Day-to-Day Operations:
· Responsible for oversight and integration of quality, services, and efficiency of the day-to-day operations at the Museum within the areas of administrative services, programs and events, human resources, physical plant, safety & security, and visitor/retail services.
· Manage/coordinate front line staff and volunteers, making schedules to ensure adequate staffing for tours and school trips, and assigning projects to the staff and volunteers as needed.
· Book tours, monitor all group tour correspondence, and maintain the museum’s policies for groups.
Baum’s Bazaar Museum Gift Shop:
· Maintain inventory, restock as needed, ensure correct pricing, and arrange retail displays.
· Take appropriate markdowns as needed and approved by leadership team.
· Manage Museum memberships by promotion in house, and online.
· Responsible for all phases of the museum’s membership program (along with your trustee partner), including expirations, renewals, new members, and incentives.
Guest Experience Team Member:
· Provide educational content to guests with accurate, interesting, and pertinent information about the world of OZ and L. Frank Baum in an engaging, timely, and articulate manner through guided tours.
· Note that every tour experience is different, as people come to All Things Oz with different expectations; some are MGM film buffs, Some are only familiar with Wicked, some only know the books, etc.
· Additional duties as assigned.
●A minimum of four years of customer or visitor service experience with increasing responsibility and manager or supervisory experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
● Demonstrated attention to detail, time management skills, and problem solving ability.
● Demonstrated knowledge of retail best practices and procedures.
● Excellent and professional communication skills via phone, email, and in-person..
● A passion for learning, listening, and interacting with visitors of all backgrounds.
● Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse group of colleagues and with visitors from diverse cultures and life experiences.
● Commitment to team process and fostering a collaborative working environment.
● Ability to be an energetic leader that models best practices for staff.
● Museum or retail experience preferred.
●Must be able to lift 25 pounds and stand/walk for long periods on varying surfaces.
● Must be available to work weekends.
Qualified candidates should submit a resume.
email@example.com , ATTN: Hiring Committee
Or via mail or in person to:
All Things Oz Museum
Attn: Hiring Committee
219 Genesee Street
Chittenango, NY 13037
This Position is: In-Person
Position Type: Full-Time
Salary range: $38,480 - $40,560 annually
Benefits: Paid time off after 6 months, select paid holidays, IRA contribution after 6 months
How to Apply: firstname.lastname@example.org, ATTN: Hiring Committee
OPEN Until October 23, 2022