Since 1968 the Arts & Science Center for Southeast Arkansas (ASC) has provided high-caliber arts programming for the community of Pine Bluff and Southeast Arkansas. Our 22,000- square-foot museum features four galleries, 232-seat theater, and a teaching studio. In 2021, ASC opened two new facilities, The ARTSpace and ART WORKS on Main, located at 623 and 627 S. Main Street. The ARTSpace features a retail gallery of works by regional artists, community gallery space, hands-on arts workshop studio, and events/ rental space. ART WORKS is home to the 65-seat Adam B. Robinson Jr. Black Box Theater, as well as artist-in-residence apartments and studios.
ASC presents programming in the visual arts, performing arts, and the sciences through exhibits, performances, classes, and local partnerships. Education programming occurs on and off site and area schools are encouraged to visit for free exhibition tours and hands-on activities. Classes are offered for children, youth, and adults with scholarships available. Gallery admission, hands-on programming, and school field trips are all free. We believe that museums are centers of learning, diversity, creativity, and fun. Our Education Outreach programming plays an essential role in ASC's community engagement.
Under the supervision of ASC’s Education Management Team, the Education Outreach Coordinator is responsible for the development, management, and execution of ASC's community engagement activities that encourage STEAM & Theater Programming. The scope includes building relationships with educators, administering public programs, growing lifelong learning and managing in-school and after-school programming logistics. Coordinating community outreach programs and cultural collaborations are essential duties for this position. Some evening and weekend work required.
● Implement existing programs and events.
● Assist in developing, managing, and executing new programs and activities for students, educators, families, and the community as a whole.
● Good Communication between staff and consultants must be maintained.
● Goals established by the Education Management Team must be met. They will include establishing objectives and procedures for outreach and developing education programs to build community engagement.
● Create lesson plans to incorporate on ASC’s website.
● The position works closely with many areas, including Education, Theater, Public Programs, Visitor Relations, and Communications & Development.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
● Assist with the continued development, implementation and on-going evaluation and revision of arts education programming for ASC’s Outreach initiatives.
● Cultural collaborations: Identify mutually beneficial opportunities and partnership with community organizations, including arts, civic, and service groups. Co-present programming that furthers the mission of ASC.
● Lifelong learning: Develop educational outreach workshops and community-based programming offered to the public, with subject content directly related to ASC's mission and objectives to deepen relationships with various community stakeholders.
● Educational Initiatives: Assist in the creation and implementation of ongoing educational programming to help foster engagement with the arts and performing arts, including workshops, field trips, and curriculum development.
● School programs: Cultivate, develop, and nurture relationships with K-12 teachers to develop connections between classroom curriculum and artistic programming.
● Excellent communicator with the capacity to work with diverse constituencies with a variety of interests and styles.
● Excellent written, organizational, interpersonal, speaking, and computer skills.
● Demonstrate knowledge and a keen interest in multidisciplinary approaches to educational programming.
● Ability to work well independently as well as collaboratively.
● Ability to develop strategic partnerships externally with schools and community organizations, as well as internally with fellow staff members.
● Familiarity with various models of arts education study guides and curriculum materials for children, families and educators.
● Experience in cultivating and sustaining relationships with groups reflecting the ethnic diversity of Pine Bluff, AR.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
● Bachelor's degree in the arts, arts-related field, education, and curriculum development required.
● Three to five years in arts education with responsibility for creating, producing and presenting arts education programs.
● Demonstrated experience and familiarity with the field of arts education related to schools, communities, and the general public.
Must be able to work during regular office hours as well as any necessary evenings or weekend hours.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS & COMPENSATION
This year round, full-time position with full benefits may at times require a flexible schedule to accommodate programs, events, and after-hours work including weekend and evening hours. Annual compensation includes a salary range of $35,000 - $38,000 depending on experience, plus health insurance, paid sick/leave time, and paid holidays. The incumbent should have a valid driver's license, be able to lift items up to 30 pounds, handle tools or controls, climb a ladder, and travel periodically for programs or meetings. Position open until filled. No phone calls please.
Application packages include three components:
1. A cover letter which must include:
a. Your area of interest, academic training, and job experience in one or more of the following: public relations, arts or science education, museum studies, theater, and special events. The letter must be specific to how your skills fit the ASC position.
b. Save file with your last name and word “Letter” (i.e. SmithLetter)
2. ASC job application (www.asc701.org/employmentopportunities.org).
a. Print, fully complete, sign, and scan application
b. Save file with your last name and word “Application” (i.e. SmithApplication)
3. Updated resume.
a. Include three references
b. Save file with your last name and word “Resume” (i.e. SmithResume)
1. Email all files: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
2. Subject line should read: Your last name and the word “Job Application” (i.e. Joe SmithJobApplication)
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Arts & Science Center for Southeast Arkansas provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.