JOB TITLE: Visitor Services Associate
EMPLOYMENT CATEGORY: Hourly, non-exempt, up to 25 hours per week
DATE UPDATED: January 16, 2018
REPORTS TO: VP of Education and Interpretation
HOURLY RATE: $10 per hour
The Visitor Services Associate is expected to assist with all aspects of visitor services at the William Paca House and Gardens: staffing the reception desk; admissions, membership and retail sales; collecting visitor statistics; maintaining site security; giving tours; and assisting with public programs, events, and other duties as assigned.
- Assists with general museum reception and visitor services and maintains the highest standards of customer service for all visitors.
- Responds effectively and knowledgeably to questions from visitors regarding Historic Annapolis, Inc., HA sites and exhibit information, planned programs/events, local tourist information, and membership and volunteer opportunities.
- Responsible for all opening and closing procedures, both at the register and reception desk and in opening and closing the William Paca House and Gardens.
- Performs accurate POS retail sales processing, admissions, event, and membership sales through two software platforms (Counterpoint and Altru) to balance the day’s business in the appropriate manner.
- Provides in-depth and engaging tours of the William Paca House.
- Answers the telephone and provides requested information. If unable to answer the question, VSAs forward the call to appropriate staff members, using good communication skills and working collaboratively to do so.
- Performs store maintenance, restocking supplies, and cleaning as needed to optimize the appearance of the retail sales floor and all merchandise.
- Participates in all aspects of setup/break down and staffing of HA events in support of the organization as requested and needed.
- Assists with public, education, and fundraising programs.
- Is knowledgeable about HA membership levels and benefits and promotes HA membership sales.
- Willingly and enthusiastically assists HA staff with tasks as needed, including administrative tasks and public and fundraising programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
JOB SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND EDUCATION:
- College preferred, high school or G.E.D. essential. Those with degrees in history, art history, museum studies, education, or related fields are encouraged to apply.
- A minimum of one year of work experience in retail or customer service position.
- Demonstrated interest in and aptitude for providing high-quality educational content to a diverse general public.
- Dedicated commitment to the philosophy and mission of Historic Annapolis.
- Excellent customer service abilities, accuracy, enthusiasm and productive work ethic.
- Effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Effective knowledge of HA properties and programs as well as Annapolis tourism and restaurants.
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with a diverse population of visitors and staff.
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, database system and Power Point required.
- Ability to follow policies, procedures, and instructions to accomplish assigned tasks accurately and appropriately.
- Demonstrate a desire and ability to function as a team player, including working a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends, to accommodate the needs of Historic Annapolis.
- Public speaking experience.
You can view this listing at http://www.annapolis.org/support/employment-internships. To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.