Stone Quarry Hill Art Park, located in the town of Cazenovia, New York, is seeking candidates for the position of Executive Director. As chief advocate for the Art Park, the Executive Director will provide innovative leadership to further the mission and vision of the organization. Working with the support of a committed Board of Directors, the Executive Director will prioritize long and short-term goals, establish policies, develop plans, and undertake programs.
The Executive Director is responsible for guiding the successful operation of the programs and landscape of the Stone Quarry Hill Art Park. This includes on-going development and day-to-day oversight of the diverse programs, the integration of landscape and art, marketing, community relations, and fiscal and personnel management.
- § Fundraising and Revenue Generation – Developing and executing a comprehensive strategy to expand the funding base and sustain organizational growth including sponsors, donors, members, and grant support from individuals, corporations, government agencies, and/or foundations; leading fundraising efforts including annual appeals, capital campaigns, and events.
- § Artistic Direction – Curating the landscape as an integral part of the artistic vision; selecting artists-in-residence; recommending the acquisition/de-accession of sculpture; developing exhibitions, events, and programming consistent with the Art Park’s master plan, values, and mission.
- § Management and Administration – Overseeing the management and execution of the Art Park’s operations and programs; delegating appropriate activities and authority to staff (site manager, visitor services/site promotion coordinator and one seasonal building/grounds staff member); preparing and directing Board involvement on key issues; ensuring fiscal health of the Art Park by preparing annual budgets and income strategies; maintaining adequate fiscal and accounting controls; timely reporting to the Board on financial status of the organization; conducting annual performance evaluations.
- § Communications and Community Relations – Clearly articulating the mission and vision of the Art Park and its value to the community; expanding the scope of engagement and outreach of the Art Park to diverse communities; building networks and nurturing collaborations with other non-profit and cultural organizations, regional partners, schools, and institutions; developing effective strategies for public outreach through various media at the local, regional, and national scale.
Characteristics and Qualifications
The Executive Director will demonstrate effective leadership with a commitment to mission of integrating art and landscape at Stone Quarry Hill Art Park. The ideal candidate will be a strategic thinker able to transform vision and ideas into engaging programs and valued place. This individual will demonstrate flexibility and creativity in relation to the challenges of leading an organization. This person should have strong interpersonal communications skills with the ability to interact effectively with the Board and general public, and serve as a compelling spokesperson able to articulate the mission and vision of the organization to diverse audiences. Because of the varied nature of the programs, the Executive Director must be willing and able to work a flexible schedule, including direction of outdoor activities during each season of the year, as well as certain weekends and evenings for special events, community engagement, and networking.
Candidates for this position will have a degree in Arts, Arts Education, or Museum Studies or equivalent experience in non-for-profit management and operations. The position requires proficiency in computer and technology skills necessary for managing information, communications, and public presentations. Candidates will have a record of increasing responsibilities for managerial, administrative, and collaborative efforts. Demonstrated fundraising experience is important. Experience in leading a cultural non-for-profit organization is also preferred.
Stone Quarry Hill Art Park
Inspired by the relationship between art and nature, Stone Quarry Hill Art Park seeks to educate and engage the public through its exhibitions, collections, interpretation, and community outreach program in the arts. Set among 104 acres of conserved land and groomed trails, the Art Park is dedicated to providing a unique environment for showcasing art by emerging and established artists, in natural and gallery settings.
For over 25 years, Stone Quarry Hill Art Park has developed a regional and national reputation as a place for innovative programs that engage the relationship between art and landscape. It showcases contemporary artwork from emerging and established artists in outdoor and indoor settings through its Outdoor Exhibiting Artist and Juried Exhibition programs. Outdoor exhibitions feature site-specific work created and installed through the Artists-in-Residence programs. Opportunities for artists include formal residency positions, fellowships, affordable studio rental, artist-led workshops, and juried gallery exhibitions. The Art Park strives to support artists at any point in their career and from a variety of backgrounds, abilities, and interests.
Stone Quarry Hill Art Park is a place where art, landscape and people connect. Situated at the northern edge of the Appalachian Plateau, the views from the hilltop extend beyond the Village of Cazenovia and Oneida Lake out across the Ontario plain. Within the park there are over 100 acres of fields and forests, hedgerows, wildflower meadows, wetlands, ponds, and other habitats. All this serves as setting, as well as subject and material, for artists creating works that engage the landscape. Approximately 75 sculptures are currently installed throughout the Park. The facilities, including the Artists’ Lodge, Studio, John & Virginia Winner Gallery, pavilion, and Art Barn, have all evolved in response to the unique character of the place and the diverse programs of the Art Park. The Hilltop House and Studio at the center of the Art Park is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a significant example of mid-twentieth century modernism.
Stone Quarry Hill Art Park overlooks Cazenovia Lake and Village of Cazenovia, an historic community twenty miles east of the city of Syracuse in Central New York. Situated near the Finger Lakes, Lake Ontario, and the Adirondack Mountains, as well as accessible to New York City, Boston, Montreal, and Toronto, the area offers a diversity of natural and cultural opportunities.
Application Procedure: Application materials are required to be submitted to Kelli Johnson, Interim Executive Director at: firstname.lastname@example.org
For inquires related to the search, contact Matt Potteiger, Chair of the Search Committee, at email@example.com or via phone at 315-427-9208.
Include in your application:
· C.V. or resume
· A narrative description of your background, interests, and qualifications for the position. Include a brief discussion of what would see as the opportunities of integrating art and landscape at Stone Quarry Hill Art Park. Please keep your response to approximately three pages in total.
· A list of at least three references with addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses. Please indicate your relationship to each person on this list.
Application Deadline: Although applications will be accepted until the position is filled, candidates should submit their application by May 21, 2018, to assure optimal consideration. Interviews are anticipated in June of 2018 with a negotiable Summer 2018 start date.
A competitive salary and benefits will be provided.
Stone Quarry Hill Art Park is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.