Fosterfields Living Historical Farm, a historic site of the Morris County Park Commission, located in Morristown, NJ, seeks a full-time Historic Farmer for this State and National Register Historic Site. This newly created position will work under the supervision of the Superintendent of Historic Sites Maintenance and the Farm Foreman, assisting with the implementation of daily operations at Fosterfields Living Historical Farm, including the care of domesticated animals, planting and maintaining farm crops, and daily historic interpretation as assigned.
Essential Functions of the position include:
- Carrying out assignments on the farm as directed.
- Working with and caring for domesticated animals in a historic farm setting.
- Use of period and modern implements associated with the successful culture of field crops, small fruits, orchards, vegetables, herbs and ornamental plants from harvesting through harvest, including ploughing, harrowing, planting, cultivating, fertilizing, liming, spraying, pruning and harvesting.
- Performing routine maintenance on farm structures, equipment and systems compromising Fosterfields, using both period and modern practices as required.
- Restoring and maintaining period farm machinery and implements associated with the historic farm program.
- Cutting grass, using a tractor, riding mower, scythes, etc. and pruning/trimming trees.
Additionally, the chosen candidate will cooperate with the interpretive programming associated with the historic farm, provide pertinent commentary to the public about the historic farm, and wear suitable period costuming when the farm is open to the public. The candidate will secure a pesticide license, assist with maintaining records of inventory, and equipment maintenance as assigned, and perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications include knowledge of and the ability to work with and care for domesticated farm animals, the ability to work a flexible shift, including evenings and weekends as needed, and have knowledge of and the ability to use the tools, methods and materials used in farming and landscape maintenance. The ideal candidate will also have the physical ability to perform the tasks of the position, including the ability to lift at least 50lbs. The candidate must be a NJ resident within 1 year of accepting the position and have a valid NJ driver’s license.
Experience training and working with draft horses or oxen is highly desired.
This is a full-time, 40-hour per week position. Salary is 42,533/year, with a comprehensive benefits package that includes health and pension. Please send cover letter, resume and at least three references by July 27, 2018 to Mark Sutherland, Manager of Historic Sites, Fosterfields Living Historical Farm, 73 Kahdena Road, Morristown, NJ 07960 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on Fosterfields and the Morris County Park Commission, visit morrisparks.net. The Morris County Park Commission is an equal opportunity employer.