Job Title: Education Retail Agent (Part Time)
Reports To: Education Programs Coordinator
Pay Rate: $10 per hour
The mission of the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum is to collect for preservation, operation, interpretation and display, railroad artifacts in an authentic setting to educate the public concerning the role of railroads in the history and development of our region.
The Tour Guide will:
- Be a Front line customer service presence to our public
- Seek to educate the public concerning the role of railroads in the history and development of our region
- Be interactive with customers and create a clear interpretation of the impact of trains throughout history
- Be responsible for product display that is presentable and desirable to the consumer.
- Reports to and works under the direction of the Education Program Coordinator . Position works independently and requires a measure of judgment and discretion in completion of duties
- Research, develop and present thematic original tours and special programs for groups and individuals
- Provides interpretive knowledge by answering questions, creating and implementing talks and a variety of interpretive opportunities
- Ensures visitors have an engaging experience
- Learns about the area history locomotives, passenger cars, other equipment on the property and the experiences that took place on trains to help visitors imagine and understand as they interact with the trains
- Facilitates with customer feedback regarding customer needs and concerns, museum challenges, and generates ideas and solutions to meet identified needs
The Tour Guide may preform additional functions, which can be assigned from time to time. The position may require work on weekends, nights and holidays to accommodate facility programming and train activities.
DAILY PHYSICAL & SOCIAL REQUIREMENTS
- Loading and unloading of customers from train in a pleasant manner
- Ability to lift equipment to load and unload passengers (ie. step box and ramp) weighing up to 25 lbs
- Able to deal with tour groups and guiding them to their seats and other locations under time constraints
- Post-secondary education (Associates degree or courses towards a Bachelor degree) American history/studies, American History Communications, Social Science, Humanities, Mechanical Engineering or any related field.
- One (1) year of related experience or acquired knowledge of Museum functions and/or trains, through community involvement or any combination of education and training that demonstrates candidates to perform the essential duties of the position.
- Ability to engage in a positive and harmonious work relationship with Volunteers and other Museum Staff
- Able to communicate verbally, be attentive and engage with customers and make sound judgments
Send resume to Shana Haynes, Assistant to the Education Programs Director at email@example.com or 2200 N Chamberlain Ave, Chattanooga, TN 37406