Gunston Hall is pleased to announce a part-time guest services position at an unparalleled historic site on scenic Mason Neck in Fairfax County, Virginia. We are seeking a candidate who is friendly, people-oriented, loves history, and is eager to share Gunston Hall’s story with visitors. Guest services staff divide their time between the visitor center and the mansion. Their responsibilities center around ensuring a positive and content-rich experience at Gunston Hall.
Specifically, guest services staff:
- project a positive image, serving as an ambassador for the museum;
- greet visitors, in a pleasant and welcoming manner;
- lead tours that are accurate and engaging for visitors of all ages;
- assist with the preparation for and implementation of public programs and special events;
- promote and relay accurate information about planned programs and events;
- monitor the museum exhibitions in the visitor center, period room installations in the mansion, and reproduction outbuildings;
- interact with visitors throughout their time on the property;
- answer telephones;
- schedule tours and special events;
- keep accurate records, including admissions records;
- reconcile cash and charge receipts;
- support other projects related to Gunston Hall’s educational mission.
The ideal candidate will be interested in history, solution-oriented, detail-oriented, able to adapt to changing circumstances, and committed to presenting Gunston Hall in the best possible light to teachers, students, program attendees, museum visitors, and other members of the general public.
This position reports to the Education Manager. It requires:
- excellent customer service skills;
- responsibility and trustworthiness;
- knowledge of basic office procedures;
- ability to read and write the English language and to understand, follow, and give oral instructions;
- knowledge of computers, telephone systems, audio-visual equipment, and cash registers;
- ability to reconcile cash and credit card receipts;
- ability to maintain an electronic calendar in order to schedule events;
- exhibition of professional manner and dress at all times
- ability to multi-task;
- ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
Both weekend and weekday shifts are available; applicants should expect to work two to three days a week, including at least one weekend day. This is an hourly (wage) position, earning $10.50 an hour. It does not have health insurance, retirement or paid leave.
To apply please send a letter of interest, resume, and Commonwealth of Virginia application* to Lacey Villiva, Education Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gunston Hall is an equal opportunity employer.
*To submit a Commonwealth of Virginia Job Application, please visit https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com/. You will need to create an account, fill out a draft application, and email a copy of the application saved as a pdf.