Based in our historic setting and working in partnership with other organizations in the region, the Rehoboth Art League leads in sponsoring art exhibitions, education and other programs that inspire community members to embrace the lifelong value of art.
The Rehoboth Art League is seeking a full-time Exhibitions Director who will be responsible for artistic programs in fulfillment of the mission of the organization, including exhibitions, artist support, collections, and other artistic endeavors. This position oversees all gallery operations at the League’s historic campus, any pop up galleries around the region, and all artwork loan activities.
This position is full-time, with occasional evening and weekend hours, with a salary of $45,000 per year. The Rehoboth Art League is an equal opportunity employer.
- Plans the exhibitions calendar
- Oversees and implements all exhibitions in the RAL galleries, as well as temporary exhibitions at ‘pop up’ locations.
- Provides administrative support for all exhibitions, shows and Collections activities
- Gathers all necessary information for promoting exhibition and shows and communicates timely to marketing
- Recruits and encourages artists to participate in RAL activities
- Oversees and Creates all Call for Entry applications
- Oversees the jurying, judging, and award processes for all RAL shows and exhibitions that require a ‘Call for Entry’
- Leads the Exhibitions Committee in setting policies and procedures for gallery and exhibition programming and leads the exhibition selection task force for identifying artists for future RAL shows
- Oversees all Collections related activities. This includes safe storage of works in the storage facility, as well as the policies and procedures for its use, as well as oversight of Collections-related volunteer and internship activities
- Oversees all loan activities, including safe transportation of works to and from loan sites
- Supports the Collections Committee, including strategic planning, exhibitions, and annual budget allocations
- Directs the procedures for hanging artwork in any RAL gallery or special show and coordinates the hanging of special exhibition shows
- Trains volunteers and staff for hanging shows and displaying 3-D artworks
- Oversees the Gallery operations through supervision and training of the Gallery Associates, Homestead Coordinator and Homestead docents to ensures that excellent customer service experiences transpire in the RAL galleries
- Directs the Docent Council, creates and maintain the Homestead Docents schedules, coordinates Docent activities, including fundraising
- Works with the Education Programs Director in recommending and soliciting both exhibition and outside artists to participate in educational programming
- Creates exhibitions-related content in social media outlets, including RAL website, to promote exhibitions and other information relevant to the organization
- Responsible for the safe storage and transport of art to/from RAL
- Facilitates insurance coverage and certificates as needed for artwork on loan
- Works to ensure exhibitions achieve financial goals of the organization
- Actively seeks funding to support exhibition programs
- In conjunction with other RAL staff, is responsible for creating ads and other PR/Marketing materials. This includes social media promotion of RAL and RAL related activities.
- Designs exhibition brochures, posters, signage, and other promotional materials, as needed
- Designs the Homestead literature other campus literature, as needed
- Creates monthly reports for the accountants using Masterpiece software and oversees daily financial
reporting to the bookkeeper
Key Performance Measures
- Performance will be measured by evaluating execution of key functions, particularly as related to advancing the goals of the organization
Skills and Competencies
- Bachelor Degree (Masters preferred). Preference given to those with degrees in arts-related fields.
- Significant experience in managing and designing exhibitions and developing educational and information programming to support the exhibition
- Background in arts management
- Experience identifying and recruiting artists/collections for exhibition
- Excellent visual display, layout, and skills
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
- Skilled in necessary computer applications, including Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suites
- Ability to organize and execute programs simultaneously
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Ability to quickly grasp new software programs, including Point of Sale software (Masterpiece), WordPress, and ArtCall, for training as needed
Physical Abilities and Requirements
- Sitting and working with a computer
- Lifting and moving files, boxes, artwork etc. up to 30 pounds
- Climbing ladders, hanging artwork and adjusting lighting
Management and maintenance
- Assists in budget development for exhibitions and is accountable for managing that budget
- Maintains appearance of galleries and artwork during exhibitions
- Assists with special events as needed
This job description includes, but is not limited to, the duties and responsibilities as noted above. The essential functions of this job description are not exhaustive and may be supplemented.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to the Hiring Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. A pdf of this job description is available for download at www.rehobothartleague.org.