The Monroe County Historical Association is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to promoting, protecting and preserving the history of Monroe County, Pennsylvania. Housed in the historic 1795 Stroud Mansion in Stroudsburg, PA, the organization utilizes a small and dedicated staff and many volunteers to carry out the organization’s mission. The organization, founded in 1921, maintains a local genealogy and research library and a history museum.
The Monroe County Historical Association is seeking a motivated team member to fill the position of Administrative Assistant to perform clerical, library, and museum duties to help ensure the ongoing day-to-day activities and operations of the organization. The Administrative Assistant is an integral part of the museum’s management team with broad responsibilities across the institution. This position will be filled by a person who can expect to be fully engaged in helping to preserve local history.
· Performs administrative and clerical duties for the organization including establishing, managing, and maintaining office records and filing systems.
· Actively participates in fundraising events, workshops, and programs.
· Assists with the planning, development, and execution of special events, workshops, projects, etc.
· Utilizes computer technology for general correspondence, web site updates, and networking/social media.
· Utilizes applicable software programs pertinent to the organization for the creation of letters, forms, databases, spreadsheets, brochures, flyers, purchase orders, reports, and any other documents as needed.
· Operates office equipment including, but not limited to, photocopier, microfilm machine, fax machine, cash register, and communication systems.
· Manages phone, email, social media, face-to-face communications and/or any other applicable mode of communication politely, effectively, and efficiently.
· Maintains an accurate calendar of meetings and appointments.
· Creates, transcribes, and disseminates minutes for meetings when appropriate.
· Works the additional hours necessary outside of the normal work day for the completion of tasks inherent to the position, as authorized.
· Serves on various committees as assigned.
· Available to work a varied schedule to include some weekends, evenings, and special events.
· Conducts guided tours of the museum as needed.
· Conducts research in the library and/or offer assistance to library patrons as needed.
· Handles general maintenance of the gift shop items including selling gift shop goods to customers.
· Performs the work described herein without posing a direct threat to the health or safety of himself/herself and/or others.
· Performs other duties and related tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
· Has a Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in business administration, history, public history, or related field.
· Displays the necessary skills in such areas as reading, writing, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and arithmetic that are sufficient to carry out assigned functions.
· Possesses necessary technology-related knowledge and individual computer skills.
· Has the ability to prepare documents without error, while working within deadlines and dealing with unplanned interruptions.
· Has the ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously and to collect, organize, and report data.
· Possess effective communication, judgment, planning, organizational, problem-solving, and human relations skills.
· Must be dependable, punctual, flexible, and able to manage time appropriately.
· Must possess adequate interpersonal skills including the ability to work with colleagues, the public, the Board of Directors, donors, volunteers, and interns.
· Must maintain a professional demeanor and image.
· Demonstrates the ability to work independently and/or with a team.
· Possesses enthusiasm for museum work, fundraising, and non-profit organizations.
· Must be able to remain in a standing or sitting position for prolonged periods of time.
· Must be able to move about the work area to access materials, filing cabinets, office machinery, etc.
· Must be able to operate equipment relative to his/her position for use and simple service or repair.
· Must be able to travel between MCHA sites and other job-related locations as necessary.
· Must be able to withstand changes in environmental conditions inside and outside of the work facility and to adapt to these changes.
· Must be able to access all work areas and locations.
· Must be able to lift as required.
This position description does not state or imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees in this position will be required to perform any other duties requested by their supervisor(s).
Terms of Employment
Hourly wages at $12.00 per hour. After the successful completion of a 3-month probationary period, the rate increases to $15.00 per hour with paid vacation days/holidays. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please. The Monroe County Historical Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE.)
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and a list of three (3) references to Amy Leiser, Executive Director, Monroe County Historical Association, 900 Main Street, Stroudsburg, PA 18360 or email@example.com by Friday, April 26, 2019.