The Fairfax County Park Authority is seeking a Collections Assistant to assist the Museum Collections Manager with collections duties. This position may not exceed 900 hours per calendar year, resulting in a shortened weekly schedule averaging 17 hours per week, to provide for year-round employment. Individuals in these positions are not eligible to earn benefits, paid leave or receive holiday pay. Appointment to this position is contingent upon satisfactory results on a criminal history record check.
Location: Museum Collections Office, Walney Visitor Center, 5040 Walney Road, Chantilly, VA 20151
Hourly Rate: $22
Closing Date: September 6, 2019
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Assists with inventories of collections and reconciliation of artifact records
• Performs data entry and filing of donor recognition letters, gift/donation forms, catalog records, accession and deaccession forms, loan forms, and other artifact documentation
• Assists in the deaccession process, including documentation, movement of objects, and researching disposal options
• Classifies and physically numbers museum artifacts
• Assists with storage of collections
• Assists with simple, appropriate cleaning of artifacts and collections storage areas
• Assists with maintenance of collections database
• Retrieves and prepares artifacts and artifact information, conducts artifact-related research, and provides input regarding collection elements for exhibits, programs, website and social media content, and other instances where collections information is needed
· Prepares exhibits and website and social media content
• Assists with Environmental Monitoring and Integrated Pest Management tasks
• Assists with installation and dismantling of exhibits as needed
• Occasionally responds to collection-related inquiries, surveys, etc., from museums, researchers, and collectors
• Occasionally assists with routine security and safety inspections
• Occasionally assists with collection and/or education tours
· Occasionally trains and exercises direction over interns, and junior staff
• Performs other duties as assigned
Required Qualifications: Enrolled or Graduated from an accredited college or university with Bachelor’s degree in American history, museum studies, public history, liberal arts, or other museum-related field; Strong understanding of museum standards and accession procedures; Proficiency with database applications.
Preferred Qualifications: MA in Museum Studies or related field of study; 2 years’ experience working in a technical role at a museum; Experience with Proficio’s Re:discovery software; Ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines; Ability to use complex filing and research systems; Ability to multi-task and problem solve; Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing; Familiarity with scanners and digital cameras.
Physical Requirements: This work requires the ability to lift up to 50 pounds, with frequent lifting and carrying of items up to 25 pounds.Requires on-site inspection of collections objects in historic homes and buildings, including attics, basements, and non-climate controlled areas.
How to Apply: Please email resume and cover letter to Megan.Leining@fairfaxcounty.gov