FLOYD COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Position: Museum Director
Reports To: Museum Board of Directors
Status: Full Time Beginning April 2020
Revised Date: 9/20/19
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Floyd County Historical Society and Museum’s objective is to keep alive an active interest in Floyd County history by collecting, preserving and interpreting artifacts, books, papers, records, and other materials relating to the county’s history. The Society promotes interest in local history through the display of historical relics and through publications, programs, observations of significant events, and pageants of history. The Society also ensures that the public records of towns within Floyd County are properly preserved and that historical sites are marked to recognize their importance to the county and help prevent their loss. This position is to ensure that the Museum’s objective continues to be met.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The individual must be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- In charge of the whole museum and its workings: manages finance and exhibits
Represents the museum in contacts with the public
Works with the entire staff to make sure museum runs smoothly.
Keeps track of all museum objects and maintains records of ownership and borrowing
Carefully watches the safety and condition of objects on display
Manages requests for rights and reproduction of images
Plans tours and other programs for museum visitors of all ages
Works with the Curators to develop exhibits
Writes and distributes press releases and announcements to inform the community about events and activities at the museum
Develops website and social media strategies to promote the museum
Contacts local media
Works with designers to create posters, brochures, and advertisements
In charge of safety for all museum objects and visitors
Ensures that all museum rules are followed (follows policies established by Board of Directors)
Assists visitors with questions
Stationsor delegates staff to be present during visiting hours
In charge of raising the money necessary to running the museum by contacting individuals, businesses, government agencies and charitable foundations
In charge of the museum’s financial affairs such as making sure bills are paid on time, keeping the museum’s expenses on budget.
In charge of ensuring the building and grounds of the museum in good condition, including mowing lawns, cleaning floors and clearing ice and snow
Specific Duties currently performed by the Director
• Create Displays and Signage
• Attends Meetings (Tourism, Floyd County Museum Board, Historic Preservation, Silos and Smokestacks and scheduling/preparing for Monthly Board Meetings)
• Plan/Execute Events (Kid’s Days, Annual Dinner, Pioneer Day, Train Day, including other events such as fundraisers)
• Understand and Maintain the Building and how it functions
• Education outreach (giving local presentations, school bus tours & assisting student research)
• Research and answer questions from the public
• Manage Hart Parr/Oliver/White archives
• Instruct and assist with preservation projects concerning Hart Parr/Oliver/White archives
• Researching and applying for Grant Funds in support of the Museum
• Recruitment of new members to include maintenance and update of the Past Perfect Museum software
• Identify sources of funding to support the museum via increased membership, individual endowments, gifts, grants, corporate, city, county funding sources
• Maintain inventories at the gift shop
• Hire/Fire/Train employees
• Research Build Card orders for sale
• Write and distribute the Historical Society Newsletter (4/yr)
• Assists in producing monthly Finance Report
• Manage the Facebook site, website, twitter and electronic sign
• Manage duplication of all publications
• Create and manage electronic displays (tornado kiosk, TV)
• Recruit /train volunteers
• Oversee the College Charles City High School Scholarship
Required Knowledge and Skills and Abilities
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities, or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Enjoy working with people, flexible and organized worker; comfortable public speaker, enjoy doing a variety of different things, good problem-solver
Organizational skills, good record keeper, careful with details
Good with people
Good vocabulary, creative writer
Knowledge of rules
Minimum Education or Work Experience Requirements
- High School Degree and/or some Post-Secondary Education in Historical Studies preferred.
Work Experience: An equivalent combination of education, training and experience would be considered by the Search Committee.
The work environment characteristics described here are those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Work is performed in a small office setting and must maintain harmony and encourage good working relationships with all coworkers. Must occasionally lift items weighing up to 25lbs and occasionally lift up to 75lbs with assistance. Our mission of the Floyd County Historical Society should be performed in a respectful, professional and positive manner.
This position involves interaction with the public and extensive use working with office devices and technologies.
Schedule is mainly working full-time, 40 hours per week.Willingness to work a variable schedule, including weekends and evenings when needed.
Salary and Benefits:
Up to at least $4,000 for insurance
Please place “Director Job Opening” in the subject line.