The Washington County Historical Society, located in the historic Miller House Museum in Hagerstown, MD, is seeking a full-time Collections Curator/Assistant Executive Director. This is an exciting time at the Miller House Museum and Gardens as the museum is preparing to relocate and reinterpret our entire military exhibit space. We seek an innovative individual with a creative streak that works well in a small but busy office. The position will stay listed until filled.
Job Title: Curator/Assistant Executive Director
Reports To: Executive Director
The Curator/Executive Assistant is responsible for performing traditional curatorial duties at the Miller House Museum, and supporting the leadership for the Washington County Historical Society.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Select, research, inventory, catalog, and preserve equipment, materials, clothing and artifacts.
- Recommend acquisition and accession of items for the Historical Society collection.
- Prepare exhibits and displays.
- Conduct guided tours of the Miller House Museum.
- Train and schedule volunteers, tour guides, docents and interns.
- Assist in kinship Family Heritage Research Center as needed.
- Oversee the preparation of the Miller House Museum for specialty tours.
- Maintain community partnerships.
- Develop programs and events.
- Perform other special duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Manage marketing campaigns/activities and update website.
- Minimum BA in History, American Studies, Museum Studies, Library Science or a related field.
- Possess strong research skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of museum software, specifically PastPerfect.
- Thorough knowledge of museum procedures, including care, storage, and display of artifact and archival collections.
- Interact effectively with the Board of Directors, volunteers, docents, media, corporate and community partners, Historical Society members, and the general public in order to promote the best interests of the Historical Society.
- Possess strong time management skills.
- Assist with research queries and photographic and digital reproduction requests.
- Participate in conferences and conducts seminars to help educate the community about the mission of the Washington County Historical Society.
- Ability to ascend and descend 3 flights of stairs and lift up to 40 pounds of materials.
- Have knowledge and understanding of the mission and functions of the Washington County Historical Society.
$30,000 - $34,000 a year, starting salary, based on experience.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to WCHS, Robyn Sumner, 135 West Washington St., Hagerstown, MD 21742