The Maryland Historical Society (MdHS) is seeking a part-time Education Programs and Docent Coordinator to provide administrative support to the Education Department, deliver exceptional customer service to our patrons, and lead guided programs for students and adults as necessary. The employee will assist full-time staff with program development and facilitation, while gaining knowledge of how a museum education department operates, and will be able to apply the skills learned to future professional goals. We are seeking candidates who have an interest in history and museum education, enjoy working with the public (including children and families), and feel comfortable speaking to groups. Training on MdHS collections, exhibitions, tour methodology and themes, and museum policies will be provided.
This position reports directly to the Museum Learning Manager and is part of a team of five Education Department staff members, all of whom report to the Director of Education.
- · Coordinate all school programs and adult tour reservations, including fielding phone and email inquiries, managing the programs calendar, handling invoices and payments, and sending necessary confirmations;
- · Manage the volunteer docent corps, which includes training, scheduling and monitoring the delivery of programs by docents;
- · Deliver school programs and adult tours when docents are unavailable (training provided);
- · Manage arrival and departure of all school and adult groups;
- · Maintain all program service records, evaluations and data collection, generating reports when requested;
- · Coordinate engagement with the Education Committee, an external advisory group, by communicating with members, making preparations for meetings and recording related minutes;
- · Assist with program development and implementation, including preparation of supplies, room set-up and clean-up, and potentially creation of new tours and programs;
- · Support the Museum Learning Manager in the administration of the traveling trunk program, including arranging UPS pick-ups/deliveries and reviewing the condition of each trunk monthly;
- · Other duties, as assigned.
- · B.A. in Museum Studies, Museum Education, Public History, Education, History, or related field preferred;
- · 1-2 years of experience delivering engaging programming with children, especially those in grades PK-12;
- · Excellent verbal communication and customer service skills, tailored to interaction with students, educators, and adults of varied backgrounds;
- · Strong technology skills, including proficiency with Google Docs/Sheets/Drive and Microsoft Office;
- · Physical ability to lead indoor walking tours (including stairs) of up to 3 hours;
- · Passion for history, art, and education. Knowledge of and interest in U.S. and Maryland history, a plus;
- · Experience working with, and/or managing, volunteers in a museum or other cultural institution, a plus.
- The Maryland Historical Society is an equal opportunity employer that The Maryland Historical Society educates people of all ages about the rich history and culture of Maryland and the nation. MdHS collects, preserves and interprets the historically significant art, objects, documents and images from prehistoric Maryland to the present.
- Founded in 1844, the Maryland Historical Society is the state’s oldest continuously operating cultural institution. In keeping with the founders’ commitment to preserve the remnants of Maryland’s past, MdHS remains the premier institution for state history. With over 350,000 art objects and artifacts and seven million books and documents, the society now serves more than 100,000 people through its museum, library, press and educational programs. Learn more at mdhs.org.
About the position
This is a part-time, hourly position. 20-25 hours per week, Wednesday-Friday with occasional weekend hours. The hourly rate is $15.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and contacts of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line: Education & Docent Coordinator. Incomplete applications may not be considered. No phone calls, please.