Position Title: Museum Teacher
Classification: Part-Time Staff
Pay Rate: $9/hour
Position Summary & Objectives
Museum Teachers provide a positive learning experience for school groups by delivering high- quality education programs at our museums and historic sites. Museum Teachers are responsible for learning and presenting program information in a way that makes it easy for students to understand and enjoy their visit and are responsible for facilitating hands-on learning activities to ensure that programs match curriculum expectations. Museum Teachers assist with the mission of HBMS in bringing history to life by educating the public about Bethlehem’s rich heritage.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
1. Learn and facilitate guided school tours and education programs.
• Museum Teachers are required to have availability for at least two mornings every week during the school tour season. Additional availability during the week is preferred.
2. Ensure the safety of students during the school tour/program. Museum Teachers will complete safety training for specific program activities and explain relevant safety rules to all groups.
3. Provide students and chaperones with information to understand the needs of the collections (i.e., explaining why visitors cannot touch collections items on display in our museums and historic buildings). Museum Teachers will make sure visitors follow tour rules and will report any issues noticed which pertain to the collections, buildings, or grounds when providing a program at an HBMS site.
4. Responsible for following any updated guidelines or content pertaining to HBMS school programs.
5. Responsible for providing general availability for the school season in advance. Museum Teachers are responsible for finding a replacement Museum Teacher if they are unable to perform a tour/program that they had previously confirmed.
6. Provide information regarding the mission and vision of HBMS and promote upcoming events when applicable.
7. Provide visitors with information about membership and promote membership opportunities when applicable.
8. Perform all other duties as assigned
- Candidates should have professional knowledge of best practices in K8 education.
- Preference is given to those with an Associate’s Degree, BS or BA in early childhood
- education and/or mid-level education (grades 4 – 8)
Preferred candidates will have a minimum of one year experience teaching K8 students.
- Must possess exceptional ability to relate to children and teachers.
- Requires high energy levels.
- Must maintain flexibility and work well with colleagues.
- Ability to walk and stand for up to three hours.
- Work Environment and Physical Demands
Duties of this position are performed at various HBMS historical sites. The position frequently requires standing, sitting, bending, walking and climbing stairs. Tours and programs require being outside (programs are held rain or shine).
Museum Teachers are required to wear a program-specific costume unless otherwise noted.
Job offers are contingent upon a clearance of a criminal record background check and a child abuse background check.
Historic Bethlehem Museums & Sites interprets three centuries of the history and culture of Bethlehem, PA from its founding as a Moravian community in 1741 to the 21st century. By vividly telling the stories of Bethlehem’s people through well-maintained buildings and sites, rare collections that are available through exhibits and research, and electrifying educational programs, we show the zeal and commitment of Bethlehem’s community in forging our American nation.
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org