REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS (Issued 08/24/20)
TITLE: Diversity Consultant
CATEGORY: Temporary Contract (grant funded)
DATES OF SERVICE: Starting December 2020
Historic Annapolis, the leading preservation and history organization in Annapolis, Maryland, is seeking to hire a consultant to assist the organization with creating a Diversity Action Plan (DAP) that will enable a more inclusive work environment and engage a wider public audience.
Working with senior staff and board members, the consultant will serve as the lead in developing the DAP and assisting with implementation, to include training sessions. The DAP should include identifying diversity, equity, and inclusion goals and strategies for the organization that are integrated into all internal and external activities and planning processes. In addition, the DAP should include recommendations, policies and procedures, resources and trends, and best practices.
Topics and activities to be addressed should include, but are not limited to:
- Developing strategies to attract, hire, and maintain a diverse workforce (full- and part-time employees and volunteers) to include professional development.
- Establishing diversity initiatives related to recruiting new members to the board of trustees.
- Ensuring the organization's internal culture and work practices, such as vendor selection, performance reviews, and internal communication are equitable and inclusive.
- Ensuring the organization’s external relations related to fundraising, marketing, donor relations, stewardship, and membership are equitable and inclusive.
- Identifying existing historic sites of diverse heritage and culture, under the management of boards, commission, non-profits, foundations, etc. and recommending relationship building, coworking and partnership opportunities.
- Conducting a diversity assessment of the organization’s current public programs and interpretation offerings and making recommendations on new programs and initiatives, to include:
Identifying truth and reconciliation opportunities through uncovering misinterpreted, under interpreted or overlooked diverse designations of historic significance.
Collaboration opportunities with community stakeholders that can offer reconciliation programming, restoration opportunities and education.
Developing a diversity and inclusion community investment strategy that includes, but is not limited to, diverse program offerings, education, and ancestry & lineage exploration.
Exploring novel methods for preservation of diverse historic sites in Annapolis, that include, but are not limited to, the use of media, public art, and curation of personally held items of historic significance.
- Promoting diversity in emerging professionals through internships in fields related to historic preservation and museums.
- Providing HA staff, volunteers, and board members with training on the DAP and understanding differing perspectives.
- Establishing a mechanism for measuring and monitoring organizational diversity.
JOB SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND EDUCATION:
- Minimum bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree in related field preferred.
- At least 3 – 5 years work experience in human resources, or a related field with a proven knowledge of employee engagement, retention, equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives and programs.
- Working knowledge of historic preservation and/or museum organizations preferred.
- Self-starter with ability to prioritize and respond accordingly.
- Great communicator who can build strong working relationships with internal and external partners.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills.
Please submit proposals with fee structure and resume to Lucy Mikhailova, Senior Vice President Finance, at firstname.lastname@example.org
by COB, 5:00 pm (EST) on September 7, 2020.