The Annapolis Maritime Museum & Park, a non-profit museum in the Eastport community of Annapolis, seeks an organized, personable, and enthusiastic individual, who provides oversight and support for programs aboard its historic skipjack Wilma Lee and guest services at its Museum Campus.
About the Museum:
The Annapolis Maritime Museum & Park educates youth and adults about the area’s rich maritime heritage and the ecology of the Chesapeake Bay through programs, exhibits and community events. We accomplish this mission through an engaging suite of hands-on programming and by bringing visitors to our two unique locations, both on Back Creek. The Museum is open to the public Tuesday – Sunday, 10am – 3pm.
Reporting to the Museum Operations Coordinator, the Guest Services Assistant is responsible for overseeing daily guest satisfaction, programming, and operations aboard its historic skipjack Wilma Lee and at the museum’s front desk.
The main areas of focus for this position are:
· 40% visitor services operations of the Museum Campus
· 60% programming operations of the Wilma Lee
This is a part-time position – 20 hours per week, located at the Museum Campus in Eastport - 723 Second Street Annapolis, MD 21403.
Duties of the position include:
o Manage ticketing of Wilma Lee public and specialty cruises and ensure effective and accurate communication with customers on departure locations, weather cancellations, etc.
o Manage and update Wilma Lee specific pages on museum’s official website (amaritime.org).
o Work closely with Captain of Wilma Lee to implement specialty cruises and programs on Wilma Lee including vendor coordination.
o Act as U.S. Coast Guard point of contact – receive passenger count.
o Confirm heritage cruise volunteer docents for each scheduled cruise - weekly.
o Coordinate food, beverage, and merchandise needs based on inventory counts provided by First Mate.
· Education Programs
o Schedule education programs for groups, schools, camps.
· Customer Service
o Provide exceptional customer service including ticket sales, order troubleshooting, and day-of questions and calls.
o Manage all order refunds/reschedules in museum’s database: Altru – training provided.
o Collect and analyze visitor feedback weekly via digital engagement platforms (social media, Trip Advisor, etc.).
o Manage the on-board cell phone and official merchandise POS (Square).
o Coordinate specialty cruise details including communication with partners.
· Visitor Services
o Acts as on-site visitor services representative during museum operating hours if volunteers are not available.
- o Responsible for opening and closing the museum and for accurate record of transactions on the cash register through software platform (Altru) including admissions, event tickets, merchandise sales, and membership sales and balance the day’s business in the appropriate manner.
- o Provides tours of the exhibition spaces as needed and answers the telephone.
- o Ensure professional appearance and maintenance of front-of-house Visitor Services areas, including galley and restrooms.
- o Assist in training new and existing volunteers through hands-on, day-of interactions.
· Visiting Groups
o Schedules group sales for tours at the Museum Campus for groups (including but not limited to private, corporate, school groups and more) using Altru system.
· Museum Gift Shop
o Drive sales through engagement of customers and sharing product knowledge.
o Maintains museum shop inventory, re-stocks, and notifies the Museum Operations Coordinator of low merchandise levels.
o Fulfills online merchandise orders and adjusts inventories.
o Creates sales reports using museum’s database/point of sale (Altru) and WooCommerce.
Expertise and Skills Required for the Position:
· Strong skills including planning, coordination, and organization is required and experience working with volunteers and/or organizing community events and activities is preferred.
· Ability to perform physical work, including working in outdoor elements and lifting up to 50 lbs. unaided is required.
· General knowledge and interest in maritime history and ecology of the Chesapeake Bay is preferred.
· Computer proficiency with Microsoft.
· Ability to articulate and mission and values of the Annapolis Maritime Museum & Park.
A high school degree or GED and at least 2 years of experience is preferred; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Hours: Regular part-time; some weekends required. Flex schedules available.
Travel: No travel required.
Compensation: The range for the hourly rate for this position is $15 to $18 per hour and is based upon a wage analysis across the organization. The Annapolis Maritime Museum & Park values work-life balance and a family-friendly atmosphere.
To apply, send resume to email@example.com with the position title and your first and last name in the subject line.
The Annapolis Maritime Museum & Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Visit our website at www.amaritime.org