The Maryland Center for History and Culture (MCHC) seeks a Museum Store Manager, responsible for the overall operations, merchandising, and inventory of the store, as well as assistance in performing functions of the Visitor Services Department. The Museum Store Manager offers a high level of customer service to the MCHC’s members, visitors, volunteers, and staff by providing a positive shopping experience both in person and online, maintaining a well-curated store presence. This position has key responsibilities for security functions, including opening and closing of the buildings, and monitoring the safety and security of the facilities.
· Develop and maintain an annual store budget in collaboration with Director of Private Events & Visitor Experience and the Chief Financial Officer;
· Oversee point of sale platform and manage store sales and inventory;
· Greet and orient all patrons to Museum and Library, collect admission fees, provide orientation and museum guides
· Prepare and perform comprehensive inventory as requested, offer action-oriented plan for improvements;
· Maintain merchandise stock by regularly monitoring displays/back stock and re/order of merchandise as needed;
· Perform the cash and credit card receipt functions according to cash-handling protocol and standards,
- · Process online orders, including the fulfillment, packing, and shipping;
· Maintain online store and ensure all published information is current;
· Develop marketing strategies to increase the store’s sales and visibility to the public by implementing promotions and events; should we mention social media here
· Research new vendors as needed
· Manage consignment program and submit payment requests for consignment checks;
· Promote current MCHC museum retail trends and develop appropriate merchandise plan related to current and upcoming exhibitions;
· Provide Visitor Services Manager with monthly store sales update and provide Finance staff with monthly online sales update;
· Train and assist Visitor Service Associates in store processes;
· Update and maintain Museum Store section of the Visitor Services Manual with relevant store operation content;
Perform routine opening and closing procedures for the museum;
- · Occasionally staff the Visitor Services Desk;
· Provide basic information for callers and visitors regarding MCHC, the museum and library collections, including admissions, hours, directions, parking, accessibility, and other local resources;
· Check in and monitor non-staff traffic, including visitors for appointments, meetings, contractors, and other walk-ins, observing proper protocols for access to restricted areas;
· Handle other duties as needed and/or requested.
- · 3–5 years of prior customer service and/or retail required;
· Excellent customer service and communication skills;
· Ability to work weekends and occasional evenings;
· Ability to gather data, compile information and prepare reports;
· Working knowledge of business office applications including email, word processing, spreadsheet and database applications;
· Excellent organizational skills;
· Must be punctual and reliable with assigned schedule;
· Ability to detect problems and report information to appropriate personnel;
· Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and safety procedures;
· Moderate physical activity may be required. Requires handling of objects up to 25 pounds, standing, and/or walking for long periods of time.
About the Position
This is a full-time 40 hours a week position. The salary range is $35-40,000 annually. Full benefits package included. Some evenings and weekends required. The fi The final salary will be determined based on the experience and qualifications of the successful candidate.
Please email a cover letter and resume with contacts of three professional references to email@example.com. Subject line: Museum Store Manager. Incomplete applications may not be considered. No phone calls, please.
The Maryland Center for History and Culture is an equal opportunity employer that seeks to educate people of all ages about the American experience through the rich history of Maryland using the society’s collections and to preserve important objects and archival materials from prehistoric Maryland to the present day.
Founded in 1844, the Maryland Center for History and Culture is the state’s oldest continuously operating cultural institution. In keeping with the founders’ commitment to preserve the remnants of Maryland’s past, MCHC remains the premier institution for state history. With over 350,000 art objects and artifacts and seven million books and documents, the society now serves more than 100,000 people through its museum, library, press and educational programs. Learn more at mdhistory.org.