Job Posting: Director Ralston Cider Mill
Position Announcement: Director
The Ralston Cider Mill Museum, an operational Cider Mill Museum, located in Mendham, New Jersey, seeks an energetic, creative, and goal-oriented leader to serve as Executive Director.
About the Ralston Cider Mill Museum:
The Ralston Cider Mill is the only operational cider mill functioning as a privately funded museum. We are dedicated to the preservation of the mill and open to the public for tours, research, and education. The mill was originally constructed in 1848 as a grist mill and converted to a cider mill in 1910. It operated through prohibition producing apple cider, Hard Cider and Apple Jack. The mill and its equipment have been carefully restored and are fully operational.
The primary responsibilities of the Director are the management of the Ralston Cider Mill. In conjunction with the Board of Trustees, the Director undertakes long- and short-range planning, policy development, budget preparation and monitoring, and development of RSM programs and services. The Director manages approximately 10-20 volunteers who serve as Millers and docents. The Director represents the RSM in the community, participates in events which increase awareness of the RSM, expands community outreach, and performs duties which foster donation of relevant artifacts and funds to the RSM.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of the Director:
• Supervises Volunteer Staff: Identifies, assigns, and supervises work of the volunteer staff. Assures that all are appropriately trained, and adequate staffing is maintained to meet the RSM needs and objectives. Creates a congenial atmosphere and environment conducive for recruiting and retaining volunteers.
• Financial records, Reports, and Proposals: Performs ongoing financial management as well as long-term planning and reporting. Works with the Board of Trustees to develop a yearly budget for the RSM.
• Planning: Responsible for strategic planning, as well as creating long-term, short-term, and annual goals and objectives for the organization.
• Education: Recruits schools and special interest groups to participate in RCM developed educational programs.
• Community Outreach: Develops programs, community activities, and appropriate meetings which further the mission of the RSM and benefit the community
• Website, Promotion and Publicity: Promotes the Ralston Cider Mill Museum events and activities. Keeps website current.
• Membership: Works to increase membership numbers and member benefits, and maintains RSM member records.
• Development: Works with the Board of Trustees on the annual Pressing Day fundraising event as well as assist in developing other major fundraising efforts.
• Grants: Identifies grant opportunities and works to develop government, non-profit, and foundation grants to support the operations of the RSM. Responsible for appropriate monitoring of grants and required reporting.
• Records: Keeps electronic records in an orderly and accessible system and monitors regular file back-up. Maintains hard-copy files in an organized manner.
• Facilities, Supplies and Equipment: Coordinates maintenance of the buildings, grounds, and equipment, and provides for safe and reliable operation of the RSM. Maintains adequate supplies for operation within budget parameters.
• Museum Operations and Visitor Services: Coordinates all Museum functions and services. Schedules group tours and coordinates volunteer staffing for regular open hours as well as educational programs, special tours and events. Maintains records related to utilization of the Museum.
• Professional Development: Participates in educational activities and museum associations to keep abreast of the latest development in small museum and historical society management.
Skills and Expertise Required:
• Supervisory skills, especially as relevant to a volunteer staff, financial, and administrative management of an organization
• Ability to serve as an articulate spokesperson for the RSM
• Experience in development and fundraising, including foundation and government grants as well as corporate and private donations; demonstrated ability to develop partnerships and identify creative solutions
• Financial record-keeping skills
• Knowledge of Museum Professional policies, issues, and strategies
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, database system and Power Point required.
• Adept at Social Media, especially Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
• Interpersonal and team interaction skills; ability to work with the community and with the Board of Trustees.
• Ability to meet the physical demands of working and transporting materials in an historic building with non-standard stairs
The Director will have a relevant bachelor's degree and experience in a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience, demonstrating ability required to support a non-profit organization and manage service for a small historical society and museum staffed primarily with volunteers. Those with degrees in history, art history, museum studies, Historic Restoration, education, or related fields are encouraged to apply.
Location: The Director will be based at the Ralston Cider Mill in Mendham NJ
Housing: Compensation includes housing. The Director will be offered the use of a three bedroom apartment in a house located on the property in beautiful Mendham New Jersey. Use of the residence includes all utilities.
Salary: This is a full time, salaried position, salary range $20,000-$25,000 DOE, which requires some weekend and evening hours. The work schedule is flexible and some duties may be performed from home.
Closing date: March 30, 2018
To Apply: Please submit cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org with Director in the subject line. No phone inquiries please.