Historic Dumfries Virginia, Inc. / Weems-Botts Museum
Job Location: 3944 Cameron Street, Dumfries, VA 22026
Point of Contact: Robert Borka, firstname.lastname@example.org, (810) 922-9810
Position Title: Executive Site Manager
Salary: $34,000 yearly
Experience: 1 to 2 years
Historic Dumfries seeks a strategic-goal and operationally oriented person to serve as Historic Dumfries Executive Manager. Historic Dumfries is the birthplace of Northern Virginia, the home of the Weems-Botts Museum, and a catalyst in founding the United States. This person will market and grow the museum and its programs through grants, outreach education, web, virtual reality, and social media programs and tools. The ideal candidate will demonstrate strong leadership, communications, and management competencies; and will possess application of knowledge related to history, cultural anthropology, or museum operations.
The selectee will serve a one-year, performance-based contract that may be extended year-to-year, depending on each year's results. Applicants are encouraged to submit a portfolio of projects or a bibliography of published or presented articles related to history, museums, business, and other related topics.
The duties in this specification describe the overall nature of work performed in this position. They are not intended as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person employed in this position. A more detailed job description will be made available during a point in the selection process.
The Historic Dumfries Executive Site Manager is employed by and under general supervision of the Board of Directors of Historic Dumfries Virginia, Inc. (HDVI), a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization. Among other duties, he or she functions as the museum executive director.
He or she is responsible for professional and managerial work involving overall program management of HDVI historical programs and educational activities. Work includes, but is not limited to, day-to-day operations of a historic site, the Weems-Botts Museum, and monitoring public use of the adjoining Merchant Park.
- · Relations with HDVI Board of Directors
- · Operational and Program Management
- · Financial Planning and Management
- · Communications, Outreach, Community Relations, and Advocacy
- · Personnel and Supervision (Staff and Volunteers)
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- · Mandatory; Bachelor's or higher degree. While HDVI prefers a degree in History, Archeology, Museum Education, Anthropology, or a closely related field, it will consider other fields.
- · Preferred: 2-3 years of experience in museum or historical site interpretation and education. Experience as an intern, adjunct or volunteer staff, or as a trained and qualified historic interpreter may count towards this preference.
- · Preferred: 1-2 years of paid supervisory experience, where position requires understanding of legal labor requirements.
- · Candidates will be assessed in the following competencies: Managing change, managing performance. Persuasive communication, building collaborative relationships, strategic thinking, entrepreneurial oriented, results oriented.
OTHER DESIRED KNOWLEDGE OR SKILLS
- · HDVI recognizes that few candidates will possess all skills or knowledge. If the person chosen for this position possesses important strengths, but lacks specific technical knowledge, HDVI may choose to remediate this through training education.
- · American and regional history
- · Principles, practices, and techniques of historical research, education, and interpretation
- · Principles, methods and practices of historical parks or museum management
- · Curatorial practices and procedures
- · Manage and operate interpretation or conservation programs at a historic site
How to Apply / Contact
HDVI will select the Historic Dumfries Executive Site Manager from candidates who possess the best combination of leadership, management. and museum or history related competencies. HDVI will evaluate initially the candidate's documentation, i.e., resume, cover letter (optional), portfolio or bibliography (optional), and references. HDVI will contact those selected for interviews. HDVI regrets that it will not be able to individually contact all those who apply to this opportunity.
HDVI shall request a Criminal History Record Name & Sex Offender Search Request (Form BIUSP-167) per Section 19.2-389 of the Code of Virginia.
U.S. Citizen or provide documentation establishing the identity and eligibility to work in the U.S. per the provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act.